Save your tooth from further damage. Keep your teeth healthy and strong with porcelain veneers.
What are porcelain veneers?
- Dental veneers, also known as porcelain veneers, are made from porcelain or resin composite materials.
- Porcelain veneers are extremely thin custom made shells which are made to cover the front surface of your teeth.
- Porcelain veneers help improve the appearance of your teeth and can change their colour, shape, size, or length.
Porcelain veneers can help correct the following oral conditions:
- Worn enamel: Smoking, using certain types of medication and consuming beverages such as soft drinks, tea or coffee may cause the enamel of your teeth to become worn over a period of time.
- Wear and tear: Aging can cause our teeth to wear down. This is a natural process that can affect our teeth and its appearance, causing them to have chips, cracks or appear uneven.
- Genetics: Some people are born with tooth related conditions.
- Uneven teeth: Teeth that are uneven could be a result of grinding and can affect the wear and tear of teeth.
- Discolouration: Over time teeth become stained and the stains are too stubborn to remove with teeth whitening.
Am I a suitable candidate for dental veneers?
A complete assessment of your overall dental health will be conducted by our dentist at Byron Family Dental.
Our dentist will evaluate the condition of your mouth, teeth, gums and bite and will then determine if you are a suitable candidate for porcelain veneers.
Usually, patients who have many structural dental problems could be suitable candidates for porcelain veneers.
How to take care of porcelain veneers?
- Porcelain veneers should be treated as you would treat your normal teeth, therefore, you need to make sure you brush and floss your porcelains veneers twice a day.
- Our dental team at Byron Family Dental recommend that you brush your teeth with a toothpaste that is a non-abrasive fluoride.
- In order for our dentist to check and evaluate the progress of your porcelain veneers, it is advised that you visit the dentist one week after your porcelain veneers are placed.
- It is good to wear a bite guard when you go to sleep at night if you grind or clench your teeth while you are sleeping.
- We recommend regular check-ups to the dentist. This will help maintain your porcelain veneers since they will cleaned and polished during your check-up.
The pros and cons of having porcelain veneers
Below are some of the pros of porcelain veneers:
- It can give you a dazzling smile.
- Cracks, chips, uneven teeth or other dental conditions can be covered up with porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain veneers can last a very long time if they are well maintained.
- Porcelain veneers are strong and durable.
- They are resistant to stains.
- Porcelain veneers are translucent and look natural in appearance.
- They can maintain their bright white colour if they are well taken care of.
- Porcelain veneers can help preserve the natural structure of your teeth.
Below are some of the cons of porcelain veneers:
- Porcelain veneers can be quite costly. You would need to save up to have them fitted.
- The treatment and fitting for porcelain veneers cannot be reversed once you are done with the procedure, since it involves altering and shaping your natural teeth.
- Once some of your tooth’s enamel is removed, your teeth may be sensitive to hot or cold temperatures but this is temporary and will disappear a few days after your porcelain veneers have been fitted.
- The waiting period for the entire process for porcelain veneers is about four weeks.
Be very careful with your porcelain veneers because if they get damaged or break, they cannot be repaired and they are quite expensive to replace.
Porcelain Veneers in Byron Bay
Are you tired of looking at those chips, cracks or gaps on your teeth? Book a consultation with our friendly dentist at Byron Family Dental to find out about porcelain veneers and how they can help you restore those gaps or chips on your teeth!
No, porcelain veneers do not stain. In fact, one of the main benefits of porcelain veneers is that they are resistant to stains in a way that natural teeth are not. For this reason, they can maintain a beautiful, bright, white colour for a very long time as long as they are well taken care of. Because porcelain veneers are resistant to stains, they are a great option for individuals who would like to conceal discolouration and stains that cannot be removed by means of teeth whitening.
No, porcelain veneers do not ruin teeth. In fact, porcelain veneers can actually help to preserve the natural structure of the teeth. This makes them a good treatment option for individuals with worn enamel, as well as those with chips and cracks. It is important to note, however, that it is not possible to reverse the fitting of porcelain veneers because the treatment involves altering and shaping your natural teeth. We encourage you to come in for a consultation so that your dentist can determine whether or not porcelain veneers are the best treatment option for your particular needs.
Although porcelain veneers can last a very long time if they are well maintained and properly taken care of, they are not considered a permanent solution. It is possible, however, to replace porcelain veneers when necessary. It is important to note that porcelain veneers cannot be repaired if they are damaged or broken, so we encourage you to take good care of them to ensure that they last as long as possible. In most cases, porcelain veneers should last between ten and 15 years. Try and avoid chewing on very hard objects, such as ice, to enhance the longevity of your veneers.