Repair and restore your teeth with crowns and bridges.
What is a dental crown and what is it used for
- A dental crown is a prosthetic device which is also known as a dental cap.
- A dental crown is fixed permanently onto the teeth and is used for teeth that are damaged, decaying or in need of improvement.
- A dental crown can restore a tooth by completely covering the tooth or dental implant.
When is a dental crown needed
- It is needed if you have a large cavity, a fracture or a filling that needs to be replaced.
- It is needed if you had root canal treatment done – After the damaged tissue has been removed from the root canal, the tooth will have a hollow which may fracture easily, a dental crown will help protect the vulnerable tooth from breaking further.
- It is needed if you have a severely cracked tooth.
- It is needed if you have cusps (teeth that are used for tearing and chewing food) that are broken and need to be covered to prevent it from breaking further.
- It is needed If you have worn down teeth that has been damaged due to highly acidic food, constantly vomiting, reflux of stomach acids, bruxism or teeth grinding.
- Dental crowns may also be used for cosmetic purposes if you would like to improve the overall look of your teeth.
- Dental crowns can also be used over dental implants to fill in gaps left by missing teeth.
The process and procedure for a dental crown
- The procedure will begin by numbing the affected area using a local anaesthetic.
- A filling is used to restore a tooth if it has been fractured or has undergone a root canal treatment before the crown can be placed.
- In order to make space for the crown, it is recommended by our dental professionals at Byron Family Dental that a shaving of the tooth is done to make sure the crown fits properly in your mouth.
- Our dentist will then fit in a temporary crown.
- Once the permanent crown is ready the temporary crown will be removed and replaced with the permanent one.
The benefits of dental crowns
- Dental crowns can repair and protect teeth that are damaged, threatened or weak.
- They are made of high quality and strong material.
- They are durable and can last a long time.
- Dental crowns restore the shape and colour of your teeth.
- If dental crowns are well cared for and properly maintained, they can last at least fifteen years.
What is a dental bridge
A dental bridge is a custom made, permanent and non-removable dental device which is used to replace one or more of your missing teeth. It is fixed onto the teeth that are on either side of the gap of your missing tooth.
When is a dental bridge needed
- A dental bridge is needed if you have one or more missing teeth
- A dental bridged is also needed if your tooth is severely decayed and cannot be repaired.
- A dental bridge is needed if the tooth is weak and unstable
- A dental bridge is required if the tooth is too damaged to repair or too broken to restore.
What is the procedure for a dental bridge
- First the tooth is prepared for the bridge. This process takes approximately 90 minutes to complete.
- Once the tooth is prepared for the bridge, an impression of the prepared tooth is taken and sent through to the lab where it will be made.
- About two weeks later the bridge will be ready and sent back to the dentist.
- You will be asked to come back to the dentist once the dental bridge is received.
- The dentist will check to see if it fits correctly.
- If it fits correctly, the dentist will then anchor it on to your existing teeth.
What are the benefits of dental crowns and bridges?
- You can eat and speak normally if you have dental bridges which are permanently bonded into place.
- Dental bridges are comfortable.
- Dental bridges are very easy to take care of and maintain.
- They can last a long time.
- They will not have any effect on your gums like dentures do.
- They prevent teeth from shifting into the gaps of missing teeth.
- You do not need to remove the dental bridge from your mouth to clean them. They are fixed onto your teeth and can be cleaned as you would clean your existing teeth.
Crown and Bridge Work in Byron Bay
Does your teeth need repairing? We can help you! Please contact us at Byron Family Dental for more information on our crown and bridge treatments.